DEC. 14, 1948 - Rough plans drawn up for Sandusky Speedway. Plans drawn up by Tommy Warren. Original track design was a 1/2 mile dirt track. Bert Decker showed where property lines were.
Feb. 1, 1950 agreement of lease, by and between Albertus D. Decker and Lake Erie Stock Coupe Racing Association, Inc. (LESCRA became incorporated on Jan. 10, 1950) Trustees of L.E.S.C.R.A. where, Louis Lorenz, Russell (Dick) C. Kromer, Duraine W. Thom, Richard Gifford, and Thomas Warren.
Track construction was done by members of L.E.S.C.R.A.. The track was a half mile with grandstands seating 3,500 people stretched out over the entire length of the straight away. The length of the straights were 600 Ft. long and the stands cost over $15,000. Also placed in at this time was a public address system.
May 14, 1950 the first race ever was at Sandusky Speedway. The first feature winner was Richard Brickly of Willard, Ohio. The race was won in a 1932 Ford Coupe, Richard won $103.00. There were 2,000 race fans in attendance. Admission for adults was $1.25 tax included and the children 6 to 12 cost $.50 tax included. The feature was 30 laps in length. The first track record was 31.5 seconds set by the plans drawer Tommy Warren. The first ever points champion was Geo Fasco of Sandusky. The first 100 lap feature was won by Lewis Ringle of Attica.
Other attempts where made in this time span like on Aug. 25, 1951 A quarter mile track was built inside the half mile track. This would not work out though and would not be run after the year. The first ever Miss Sandusky Speedway was Ruth Ann Eckert 16, of Castalia, Ohio was elected on Sept. 10, 1951
Deckers Break Lease
1952 the lease between Bert Decker and L.E.S.C.R.A. was broken by Decker. Some N.A.S.C.A.R. sanctioned races were held. On June 28, 1953 Bert Decker and sons held there first ever race under there management. In 1955 Decker blacktop the racing surface and added steel grandstands were built. On June 19, the first race was held and the first feature winner was number X51 Sid Howard of Vermilion, Ohio. The new track record for asphalt was set by Martin Snyder in a G.M.C. at a 23.59. This event took place in front of a crowd of 5,000.
And The Story Continues
1969 Decker Sons and mother would shut down the track at the end of the season.
1971 Bill Bader and Terry Gavin signed a lease with Deckers to open on May 9, 1971
1972 Bill Bader became the solo promoter.
1978 Larry Boos took over and became the track promoter.
1987 A concrete wall was put up at the track on the front stretch then back stretch.
1987 Affiliated with N.A.S.C.A.R. Winston Cup Racing Series.
1990 Joe Osite became promoter and Rich Davis became operations manager.
1992 Mike Calinoff became promoter at the track.
1994 Speedway no longer affiliated with N.A.S.C.A.R.
1994 Junior Buchanan becomes new GM and Promoter.
1999 Kevin Bonnema and Don Arnold Purchase Speedway from Bentley Warren at the end of the season.
2000 Kevin Bonnema sold his half of the track to Don Arnold.
2001 Don Arnold builds Motocross track in the infield.
2003 Dutch Haehn repaves entire half mile track. First new pavement in 30 years
2004-current Kevin and Bev Jaycox Lease track from Don Arnold.